The awards recognise a local initiative, club, business, service or person of any age that contributes to building a stronger local community for older people who live, work or visit the Mornington Peninsula.
Through these awards we aim to encourage an age-friendly Mornington Peninsula that will promote our values such as respect and inclusion of older people, reducing ageism and give value to the contribution older people make to our community.
Nominations are welcome from all members of the community including friends, families and carers who want to nominate persons or organisations who actively demonstrate attitudes and actions which encourage our age-friendly values. Organisations, and clubs are also encouraged to make nominations.
Categories open for nomination include:
Mayor’s Senior Achiever Award (only for a person 50+ years of age)
- Elder of the year
- Senior Achiever
PACE Age-Friendly Community Award (any age)
- Age-Friendly community service or program
- Innovative club for older people
- Encouraging diversity and inclusive opportunities for older people
- Age-friendly local business
Promotion of Intergenerational Opportunities Award (any age)
- Individuals or groups/businesses/services
Don’t forget the awards are open to nominating younger people of any age, businesses and clubs – only one category is exclusively for older people aged 50+.
The Delys Sargeant Awards are a great opportunity to celebrate the many different kinds of age-friendly work being done by, with and for older community members and also serve to remember their namesake Delys Sargeant (OAM), who was a driving force behind creating better opportunities and support for older community members on the Peninsula.
Nominations will be judged by a selection panel including representatives from the Mornington Peninsula Shire’s Positive Ageing Steering Committee and the Peninsula Advisory Committee for Elders (PACE).
You can nominate someone for the Delys Sargeant Age-Friendly Awards:
- Nominations open 19 April 2021
- Nominations close 28 May 2021
Hard copy nominations can be made by:
- Downloading the Nomination Form and Selection Criteria and submitting via email or post
- Email to PositiveAgeing@mornpen.vic.gov.au or
- Mail to Delys Sargeant Awards, Mornington Peninsula Shire, Private Bag 1000, Rosebud, Victoria or
- Submit at a Customer Service Centre in Mornington, Rosebud, Hastings or Somerville.
Previous Delys Sargeant Age-Friendly Awards Winners
Mayor's Senior Achiever Award
- Elder of the Year - Terry Phippen
- Senior Achiever - Tony Clarke
PACE Age-Friendly Communities Award
- Individual - Meredith Studdert
- Group - Blairgowrie Community Garden
- Arts & Culture - Mornington Peninsula Australian Decorative and Fine Arts Society (ADFAS)
- Individual/Local Business - Mina Tawadros, Bittern Pharmacy
- Innovative Club - Hastings U3A
- Community Service and Encouraging Indigenous/Multicultural Opportunities - Southern Women's Action Network (SWAN)
Promotion of Intergenerational Opportunities Award
- Group - Point Nepean Men's Shed Association
- Group - New Peninsula Men's Shed