You were invited to provide your thoughts on our draft Place Naming Policy.
In developing Mornington Peninsula Shire’s first Place Naming Policy, we can aim to ensure:
- All naming on the Peninsula is in the best interests of the community
- The naming of places provides a lasting and meaningful legacy to the Peninsula
- Names consider First People's languages
- Naming addresses gender inequity
- Naming serves to preserve local history and cultural heritage
- Names are connected to place
The Policy helps the Shire to provide a more consistent and equitable process for place naming.
The Shire must comply with the Naming Rules for Places in Victoria 2016 and the draft policy augments these Statutory Rules.
Help shape our Place Naming Policy by providing your thoughts before 27 April 2022.
Hard copy forms are also available on request at our Customer Service Centres.