We are introducing an option to help planning applicants meet stormwater management obligations. This will also achieve industry best practices on stormwater management in private development.
- The voluntary scheme is being offered to planning applicants.
- It will help planning applicants with stormwater management compliance.
- Stormwater management reduces the impacts of stormwater on our environment and the community.
A stormwater offset is a financial contribution paid by planning applicants for stormwater management works to be undertaken by the Shire in another location. These works ‘offset’ stormwater impacts not treated within the development.
- Simplifying the approval process
- Flexible options for developers
- Can be more cost effective compared to on-site works
- Deliver local community and environmental benefit.
Moving to Shire-run stormwater offsets is:
- recommended by the Victorian Stormwater Ministerial Advisory Council and
- supported by the Victorian Government.
Planning applicants will be able to offset up to 100% of their on-site stormwater requirements. The funds from the offset will deliver large-scale Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) projects.
Applicants will have the option to:·
- Continue to meet 100% stormwater treatment compliance on-site, OR·
- Pay a voluntary contribution towards the Shire’s Stormwater in lieu Scheme. This can be up to 100 % in lieu of meeting the remaining on-site compliance.
Note: If a development proposal falls within a Melbourne Water drainage scheme area, then it will be subject to the conditions of that scheme.
A square metre payment will be applied to:
- the total impervious area of each development
- to the total area of the subdivision and be adjusted by land type and lot density.
Funds will deliver large-scale Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) projects on the Peninsula. WSUD projects will:
- make our waterways and bays healthier by reducing pollution through improved stormwater quality (including Western Port and Port Phillip Bays).
- harvest stormwater from urban areas to recycle water for irrigation on sports grounds.
Water Sensitive Urban Design uses a variety of methods to collect and manage stormwater runoff. This allows efficient, cost-effective and environmentally sensitive stormwater management.
Provide your feedback
Let us know your thoughts on the Stormwater in lieu Contribution Scheme by completing the short survey.
The survey will close at 5pm on 8 August 2021.